Overview of ARC
ARC aims to achieve improved performance of the supply chain in Africa to increase the availability of medicines and health commodities at the last mile by building efficient, effective and resilient supply chain systems. ARC’s approach is to be a connector, broker, trusted advisor, catalyst and ‘pace setter’ of supply chain transformation for Ministries of Health and their partners. ARC is an independent organization (defined as having no specific vested interests and being solution/ provider agnostic).
ARC’s Theory of Change centres on brokering, matching and structuring demand from MoH and Donors with supply of expertise, tools and best practices. This will be achieved through partnerships with private sector organisations and academia to build the capacity of Ministries of Health.
ARC is a non-profit organization registered in South Africa, with regional offices in Nigeria and Senegal and a growing presence in East Africa. The Southern Africa regional office is also building a centralized “Support Centre”, which will help coordinate activities across regions and countries in Africa, and support global engagement with private sector and donor partners.
ARC now seeks to employ a Supply Chain Technical Lead to be based at the support centre in South Africa.
Roles & Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
- Work closely with other ARC Directors to take a strategic view of ARC’s SC landscape and coordinate engagements with partners, investors, private sector and government partners
- Understand and anticipate key regional SC demand and identify matching resources
- Identify key strategies for maximizing the impacts of SC data visibility and analytics systems
- Refine the Results Framework/ key metrics to measure ARC’s progress and impact and measurement process
- Contribute to ARC’s knowledge management tool
- Identify opportunities for innovative, disruptive approaches with the potential to transform SC bottlenecks
- Develop and maintain relationships with SC experts, academia and professional associations to facilitate, support and promote ARC’s SC engagements in the regions
Engagement with partners and stakeholders
- Provide independent strategic advice to Ministries of Health on SC initiatives and issues
- Develop concepts and solutions to strengthen the supply chain and build the capacity of MoH
- Engage in shaping and structuring partner efforts and investments to MoH SC strategies
- Support in-country diagnostic teams to identify key areas of potential investment
- Engage in partner (MoH and Donors) meetings and governance fora to facilitate discussion and provide independent SC advice
- Work in collaboration with MoH to shape concepts into investment/business cases or proposals for SC transformation
- Engage with investors and potential investors to convey the MoH needs and ensure resource mobilization
Support for Regional Affiliates
- Provide leadership and strong technical support to ARC regional affiliates in country to build internal capacity, share ideas/solutions, networks, etc. to ensure consistent quality of work
- Support regional affiliates in setting regional priorities and work plans
- Oversee regional SC portfolios while providing critical feedback, strategic direction and leveraging powerful partnerships
- Work with countries to apply the SC maturity model and VAN and gather data to demonstrate their impact and effectiveness
Supply Chain, Operations, Shared Services, Demand Planning, Inventory Management, Procurement, Sourcing, Distribution, Logistics, 3PL, Contracting, Contract Management, Partnership Development, Relationship Management, Change Management, Process Re-Engineering, Systems Integration, Business Analyst
Skills, Attributes & Characteristics
- Dynamic personality complemented by excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Problem solving and analytical thinking with the ability to translate vision into action
- Ability to review and adapt strategy as required in a growing and entrepreneurial organization
- Persuasive and articulate with experience in effectively communicating and collaborating with a diversity of stakeholders, partners and government officials
- Ability to drive diverse, virtual and cross-functional groups toward a common goal
- Strong negotiations skills and experience in developing partnerships
- Established record of people and talent management; ability to inspire others and to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Willing and able to travel to engage local teams and partners
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in managing large and/or complex SC projects
- International exposure across multiple countries but may be a more seasoned professional looking to transition from a senior management role in industry or academia to an advisory position.
- You must have demonstrated ability to advocate for supply chain transformation, gain the trust of, and provide strategic advice to high level stakeholders to help shape strategy, as well as have experience of implementing changes to processes, IT systems, policies, and organization structures.
- The ideal candidate will have managed teams from different organisations around a common goal and will have experience of mobilizing and managing funding and human resources to a budget.
- Public health experience in Sub Saharan Africa is a plus but not essential, if you do not have public health experience we would highly value experience in multiple supply chain domains in the private sector, with exposure to forecasting, planning and inventory management a strong positive
- Evidence of successful networking with public and private sectors, academia and professional associations (e.g. IAPHL, CIPS, APICS, etc.) is a strong positive
- Private sector experience would be a significant advantage
- Experience in working with integrated data visibility and analytics systems
Masters Degree or higher in a relevant field, for example: MEng /MA/MSc/MBA/Bcom
ARC is a start-up organization with substantial ambition and expectation to make significant impact to national systems in order to fundamentally change the way health is delivered on the continent. This is a unique and demanding opportunity to join an entrepreneurial, growing and purpose-driven team that share the mission of universal availability of medicines for all people in Africa.
Application closing date: 15 September 2018